Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dragonflies Baby Quilt

I remember tying quilts with my aunts and grandma when I was very young. In college my roommates and I made "quilts" for our beds by putting some batting between two flat bedsheets and tying them. I dabbled a little bit here and there. The summer that my second child turned two was when I started to quilt more avidly. I still was not very good at it, but I loved it. Anyway, when we moved to Texas nine years ago, there was a lady in my church who quilted all the time, so she and I naturally gravitated toward each other. She taught me a lot. She also, however, preferred to do simpler quilts most of the time. Because of that, I have a lot of simple baby quilts. That's why I'm telling you this long, boring story -- in apology for the finishes that I will have in the near future. They're not particularly thrilling as quilt specimens. Anyway, to spice it up, I decided to add more quilting than I might normally have done (machine, of course).
So while the quilt itself is rather mundane, I think the quilting really makes it pop. I love the quilting, even though it took me much longer than normal for a quilt of this size.
One more for the pile of baby quilts. Many of my friends don't even know the gender of their baby yet, so I'm a little ahead on the girls. Ahead? Me? This may be unprecedented. Seriously. And now I'm down to 73 projects in my sewing room -- at least that's what we're going with. When the number gets smaller or I get more organized, I'll count again. A few extras may have crept in from the garage or may have not gotten counted.
Okay. Now I'm off to go get everything ready for my quilting group this morning. We're just finishing up projects over the summer, starting something new in the fall. I'm trying to help them not be like me -- UFOs all over the place.

5 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Hi Jessica, Wow-so many quilts; how wonderful to have that many ready for presents or other needs. Do you machine quilt? I love hand quilting and that is why I'm slower than most in producing quilts. I love reading your posts.
Blessings to you.

Cathy said...

That quilting looks so good! You are right...it really sets off the quilt. If you had a busier quilt you wouldn't notice the quilting as much.
Cathy

Unknown said...

Please contact me Thank you

Amanda Jean said...

the quilting is wonderful! it really makes the quilt pop!

Anonymous said...

Reyleen.. YOU'RE the bossy quilter? they speak of you in ancient legend.