Thursday, October 20, 2011

On the Bottom of the Beautiful Briny Sea

Name that tune. Anyone? If you're in your late 30s or older or just a Disney junkie, you'll recognize that from Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I always loved that song, and this quilt reminds me of it for some reason -- all the sea life, perhaps.
My quilt group wanted to do a zigzag quilt a while back. I tell you, I am just as behind on my quilt group quilts as I am on my QALs. I guess we can just agree that I'm behind on nearly everything -- except baby quilts for upcoming births. I'm actually ahead there. I just did some wavy lines to sort of look like ocean waves or currents or something. I like the curvy lines juxtaposed against the sharp, geometric shape of the zigzags. I like the movement it gives to the quilt.
It's made mostly with Heather Ross' Mendocino line in the orange/aqua colorway. I saw this on Nettie's blog. She was selling kits and had a tutorial. I didn't buy the kit, because I already had these fabrics, and I think I cut the squares to 5 1/2" or 6 1/2" just to make the quilt a little bigger. That seems like something I would do. ;)
The boys are excited to have something with no pink in it. And those Heather Ross fabrics are SO soft. This one is on my UFO Challenge for the year (see sidebar). I must confess that I have given up on trying to keep up with the right month. I got behind in about May, and now I'm just doggedly trying to finish them all this year period, whenever they get done. I have two and a half months to go and I have finished 10 out of 18. I need to go buy some batting and get going on the rest of them. I am determined. But of course, I need to basically finish one each week to get it all done. (Bites fingernails a little, a bad habit that was theoretically broken when she was 12.) Okay. I'm off to buy some batting, then, I guess. I absolutely WILL NOT start my Swoon quilt until next year. I will NOT.

10 comments:

Jill said...

I love this one! I have some of these and am tempted to do something similar, but probably with pink. I also have the Swoon pattern and really want to get started on it, it's just not high enough on the list right now, it makes me want to plow through the list so I can get started on it though every time I see it, I have all the fabric picked out and everything.

Tamara Hampton said...

Its sooo hard to not start another... i have ideas swimming around in my head and i have to keep putting them aside and think... finish the christmas presents... finish the christmas presents!!! you can do it if i can!

Tamara Hampton said...

oh... got so excited i forgot to say YES i love the quilting on the zig zags, its beautiful!

twelfthzodiac said...

Mendocino is one of my favourite all time collections! (too bad I got into quilting when it was already hard to find *sad face*)
Zigzags have been on my to do list since forever, seeing yours makes me wnt to push it closer to the top of the list. Your quilting is perfection!

trish said...

What a great quilt! :o)

Sarah said...

Absolutely beautiful - this is on my "to do" list for sure. Love it

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats a great quilt! the quilting is very cool. Instead of being behind, you just have a lot to live for right LOL

Mrsblocko said...

I didn't think anyone remembered Bedknobs and Broomsticks anymore! I was going to contest that I wasn't in my late 30's and I loved that movie. Then I realized that 36 practically qualifies as being in your late 30's.

Congrats on your finish. The quilt looks awesome.

Heather said...

LoL You sound exactly like me when it comes to the UFO challenge! I, too, have been madly trying to catch up and get them done... and yes, I think it was around May that I lost my way, too. Good luck! We can do it!

Love this quilt! Especially your choice of quilting for it. It's perfect! And looks like it will be very much loved by one little cutie for sure. ;o)

Amanda Jean said...

hip hip hurray for another beautiful finish! i'm so proud of you!

the quilting is absolutely perfect for this one. i love the zig zags with these fabrics. it's so good!

thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!