Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Calen's Quilt

In case any of you don't know it yet, I love Elizabeth Hartman's designs. She produces such clean lines. This is another of hers, the Charm Squares Baby Quilt. However, true to form, I modified it slightly. She uses charm squares in her version. I just had some half yards, so I cut my squares 5 1/2 inches instead of using charm squares. So hence, I also cut the rectangles 3 x 5 1/2 inches. For the sashing strips between the rows of blocks I cut four strips that were 3 inches by about 38. The upper and lower borders were cut 5 1/2 inches wide by about 38. Well, I cut them WOF, and then trimmed them. My washed and crinkly quilt measures approximately 37 1/4 x 44 1/4.
Back
I used the straight/zigzagged stitch on my regular machine. I guess I don't know what it's called, but it's the one where it stitches three straight stitches up, then three stitches down to form a zigzag. I just liked the wavy look it gave to the quilt.
Fun striped binding.
Michael Miller fabrics except for the gray, which is Kona Coal. It's for my baby nephew who was born at least a month ago. Counts for my Spring to Finish Challenge, so I can check it off my list!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Love it Jess-you are knocking projects out left and right!

Rebekah said...

This is so cute! I love the grey with the prints. I need to start using more of my decorative stitches on quilts...your zig zag stitching looks great.

(did you mail out the CT fabric yet? I haven't received it yet and I'm starting to get worried)

sewtakeahike said...

love those colors! that's such a sweet gift for your nephew!