Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sigh . . .

I have been working on this quilt for at least 7 or 8 years. It is one of those long-term projects for someday finishing. There are 64 appliqued sunflowers. A couple of weeks ago, I had finished all the blocks! I laid it all out, and found that I was missing one. Did I only make 63, or did I lose it? Who knows. So I had decided to make one more.
So I sewed them all in rows so that when I finished the one more, I could just stitch it on and be ready to go. Then I found this one day.
And this. And this.
So I guess I'll be making four more instead of one. Maybe it's five. I don't know. Now it will probably take another year, because I don't even want to look at it. Ah, children who are trying to help. He was so proud of himself, because he "made" my quilt. No, buddy, you kind of UNmade it. Truly, I'm surprised this hasn't happened before now with all the kids I have running around here. Good thing I enjoy the process, right?

3 comments:

Jill said...

Oh no! I also dread this, I try to keep all scissors out of their reach, but they still find them. I think I may have cried, maybe you did. At least he thought he was helping, better than being destructive for the sake of being destructive.

Tamara Hampton said...

awww poor guy! I would say sashing, mixing it up with another block, hmmm anything but making more of them!!! maybe it was one of those "mistakes" that was meant to be to make it a prettier quilt, i have those happen all the time!

Marsha said...

Precious! Children are always so helpful that you hate to squash that part of them. I am sure I would probably put the quilt away and never look at it again but wait I did that a lot when I was a young quilter just because I had trouble making things match up. Your cute sunflower theme will be great when finished though.