Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tie-dyed fabric

Back when I was tie-dying those onesies for baby gifts, I didn't want to waste the dye that was left, and also, I was in the midst of a serious fabric-buying moratorium, so I took about 7 yards of bleached muslin and tie-dyed it too. I have some of it on the back of two quilts -- one pinned, one almost finished being quilted. This is all that's left of it. It's perfect for me since I have all those patriotic quilts. Hopefully, I'll have one of them finished this week for you to see.
Next I want to try some of that overdying or the bleaching technique -- where you put leaves or pebbles or whatever on top of your fabric and then spray bleach water on them and let the sun bleach out the areas not covered. I'll let you know if I have any success.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

What neat fabric you made! I can't wait to see what you do with fabric in the sun.
Cathy

amandajean said...

that's really fun! i messed around with discharging dye from fabrics just a bit, but i could see how it could become very addictive. :)